Wednesday 4 January 2012

Going Nuts!

I hate nuts!
Well that is what I used to think.
Don’t get me wrong, I still loath the hazel and pea kinds. But now I can add 2 nuts to my list of approved.
I already found the pistachio nut to be enjoyable but around Christmas just gone, I stumbled across the fabled almond. This nut is bestowed, in some nutrition circles, as a superfood. Up there with broccoli (which I also LOVE!), containing calcium, protein, all sorts of minerals and even cancer fighting agent.

What a great little nut to have fallen for. It arrived soon after Christmas in the form of a secret santa gift, of which a rather large bag of vanilla nougat with almonds throughout, was given to me. Not to be ungrateful I gave one of the small little treats a try. Completely expecting a nasty nut taste I took a small bite… no nasty taste. Perhaps the vanilla nougat was blocking the nuttiness.

So what should I do, but go to the shops and buy a 1kg bag of these little devils! The game was on, either I liked em, or I waste a whole 1kg bag.

Yum-o! I almost couldn’t stop eating them.

So how lucky was I when my bag of goodies order online rocked up yesterday, a flavour of protein cookie that I had ordered ended up being “CHOC FRUIT AND NUT”! almost 3 weeks ago I would have looked at these cookies and gone, “Nope, I don’t like nuts” and thrown them away. Instead, I hoed into them with much delight.

Hooray and praise for the almond! No better a nut to have found new love for.

Here are some nutrition facts about the almond from http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-almonds-i12061

No comments:

Post a Comment