Monday 16 April 2012

Tech Tuesday!

Well I mentioned last week that I would review “Zombies, Run!” an App that was recommended by a reader in response to Map My Run.

So here is how my test run… bad pun I know… went.

Early morning, 5am. I’m already kitted up for a jog, so you can imagine how early I had woken to be ready for a frightening jog.

Ear buds in and start the App.

I had previously set up all of my parameters, such as random Zombie Chases and getting my GPS location fix.

I was ready…

Step outside, everything is dark, unless a street lamps light touches it. And the Audio commentary begins.

The voice acting is a little bit… odd. Not camp, not too poorly acted and not over the top. Perhaps as good as any regular Zombie movie dialogue, which I guess in this case is a good thing.

I jog from Ecclestone St to the beach and back, using a line that travels past Retravison, beach road Fish and Chips and the Hungry Hollow. So by the time I get to the lights at Retravision, my first Zombie chase is on.

I fail the chase, not knowing exactly how fast I would need to be to escape the horde. Items get dropped to distract them, and I escape.

The story continues in-between songs that I have on my iPhone. And I make it to the Hungry Hollow drink fountain. However on my way back… another chase ensues. This time I run harder and start to make a difference in distance between me and the un dead. As I run back up the hill, I scared the crap out of myself! Sitting on a bricked letter box in the dark is a man, waiting for a lift into work, but as I am currently being chased by zombies I get a fright when he moves as I go past. This zombie chase I win!

As the story progress’ further the end of the mission is approaching, I’m on the home stretch to arrive at Abel township. But alas, one more chase ensues. This time it is an ex runner turned zombie! This chase proves to be too much for my tiring body and I distract the zombie once more with goodies that I have collected.

Within another minute or two my 35 minute long mission comes to an end, as I am welcomed into the township with my collected goodies.

As of the moment, I have only completed one mission, I do hope to play some more, and I hope that it gets scarier as I go along.

So for the moment I give this App a big thumbs up for creativity and interaction, especially if you are getting a little bored of the regular jogs or walks.

I would recommend an iPhone arm band however, as it is annoying to hold the phone while you jog.

This app will be available soon for android users.

No comments:

Post a Comment