Tuesday 5 June 2012

WOW and POW!

Well, 2 weeks off and I don’t feel like I have lost any ground.

In fact my appetite for fitness has become even more esurient!

I hunger for the jogging, can’t wait to punish myself with the weights.

Excellent!

Since starting back, I mentioned that I have tweaked my work out a little. The tweak has got me back into the “SORE” zone.

And that is what I wanted.

If you are not looking for muscle size change, then the “SORE” zone is not for you.

If you are looking for muscle size change, then make sure you are changing your work out the minute that the “SORE” is no more.

There are a few simple changes that can get you back in the zone.

1. Increase the number of sets that you do per exercise, by two. Keep the reps the same and progress the weight as per normal.
2. Increase the weight, but lower your reps. Create a diamond or pyramid shape with your reps, so as your sets increase, decrease the weight but up the reps
3. Try super sets! Carry out 2 opposing exercises back to back. For example, bicep curls, set 1. Then bam no rest straight into triceps pull downs.

Only you can create the changes you need to get where you want. So make the changes and keep up your fitness!

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of joining a gym, but I'm scared in the way that I have no idea what I'm doing/no idea what I should be doing to get the results that I want.

    What should I do?!

    -Lewis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you need to ask yourself is, "what do i want to achieve?"
      Once you know this you can start to make the plans to get there.

      Don't be surprised if later your goal changes.

      So what DO you want to achieve?

      Most gyms will offer as part of joining, an appraisal set up. You go there, tell them what you want to do and they tell you how to do it and then a month later they check up on you.

      But if you let me know a few things I'm sure i can give you some pointers and the confidence to join a gym, if that is what will benefit you.

      let me know, I'll be happy to help.

      Delete
    2. Basically I just want to put muscle on, but lose a few kilos of flab while I'm doing it. I want to join a gym because then I'll (hopefully) be more committed to going to it during the week, compared to say, having a weight machine at home.

      I'm just not very confident about joining because I have no idea what I should be doing to achieve what I want!

      Delete
    3. You should definitely join a gym if muscle mass is what you want to achieve. Weight/resistance training is much easier if you have a good selection of weight equipment to use.

      BUT!!! do not expect to HULK up after 3 weeks.

      In fact, my advice would be to get yourself fit first (if you're not already) then start to tackle some "advance" training routines.

      All of the ripped and big guys you see in the magazines have been training for years to get that way.

      If you have an iphone I would recommend testing your fitness by utilising the GAIN fitness APP. This one has been a great test for seeing how intense you can make your workout.

      Once you are in the “Zone” you can start to go for broke for resistance training.
      Let me know how you go. Then we can plan you a resistance training routine!

      I’m pretty excited to guide you if you wish. Just let me know how you’re going and I shall advise you as much as you need.

      Most importantly don’t be afraid to ask and don’t be afraid to start!

      Delete
    4. Just downloading the Gain fitness app now, will keep you updated!

      Delete
    5. G'day Lewis,

      How are you finding the Gain fitness app?

      Are you keeping up?

      I found this to be a great test of how fit I was. Took a lot of effort to keep up with the rest times.

      I'm keen to hear how your progressing.

      Delete