Tuesday 3 June 2014

Turmoil

Goals are the things that drive us in the gym, home, work and in LIFE in general.

 

So what happens when a goal is reached?

 

There is that moment of achievement and adulation that you feel, but if you haven’t got another goal to start on with, you may find yourself in a little bit of turmoil.

 

I’m no fitness competitor or stage gracing body builder, but I have always heard about body issue and anguish that some fitness competitors have post competition. Some of this stems from the fact that they have been training to get their body to a peak level and then comes a turning point… Do you keep going on this highly restrictive eating and training routine? Is it possible to maintain such a level of fitness forever? Is it healthy? Are you going to be happy with your body if you let the routine that got you here slip or ease off a bit? Some of these questions can cause a fair amount of stress. Some of these questions can also be answered by having the next goal to move on to, for some that is another competition. 

 

I myself experienced a small amount of this in the week after a solid month or more of preparing for a photo shoot. As the days closed in, the body was at a shape and look that I had been striving hard to achieve, where to from there? Was I to keep going on a difficult path of staying lean and daily intense workouts?

 

I forced myself to take a week off. And in this week I tackled a demon. I'm not sure what I was fearing? Was it that I would get fat? Was it that as a general rule it goes lean, mass gain, lean, mass gain? I didn't want to go back into a mass gain, I intend on keeping the body fat at around 10% or so. 


The week passed and even when I had tried to go to the gym sooner, my body (perhaps by choice) decided to stick with the planned break. 


The Saturday came. Judgement day. Had I figured out my next goal? Not quite. I had refocused and decided to test myself and begin lifting heavy again and start a bit if a 3-4 day train, 1-2 day break. So legs day began and I was back!


Still not 100% sure of the next goal, but  physique and strength increase is on the agenda, and by tweaking and utilizing some of my newly tested training techniques from the Hercules shoot training I'll continue to put my body to the test!!!


If you happen to feel this turmoil, my tips would be; talk about it with your loves ones or with a fellow body builder/competitor, take the time to reassess your goals and see if you can modify the big goal in some way that will suit your gym lifestyle, stick with a healthy eating plan (don't go junk food crazy!) also ensure that you have a plan to come back STRONG and ready to tackle the next step with full force!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment